Student newspaper of Park University

Stylus

Betsy DeVos: A curse to American Public Education

Dayana Plaisime, Reporter

Betsy DeVos was voted in by the senate as the nation’s secretary of education on Tuesday, February, 9, 2017. A wealthy republican with absolutely no experience in public education, DeVos’ nomination required a tie breaking vote from Vice President Mike Pence.

It was the first time in history that a vice president had to break a tie for a cabinet nomination. She had 50 democratic votes and 50 republican votes. During her senate questioning, she plagiarized most of her response, raising questions about her competence to oversee the nation’s education system.

DeVos has no teaching degree or teaching experience. She has never attended a public school nor have any of her children. She supports the funding for-profit Christian schools over public schools.

“DeVos’ anti-public education positions and her lack of any experience or qualifications show she would be a disaster for public education,” said the New Jersey affiliate of the National Education Association.

So, what does Betsy DeVos being the Secretary of Education have to do with university students?

The U.S. Department of Education has a huge impact on universities and their students especially when it comes to financial aid.

“Our federal programs are governed by the Department of Education so there will be an impact. As to the extent of this impact, it will not happen right away,” said Penny Emory from the financial aid department at Park University.

The Department of Education usually makes changes effective October 1 and gives a one-year notice before making any new changes.