Mohr expresses viewpoint on world in photos

Park University sophomore Max Mohr sat in a green hooded sweatshirt and pajama bottoms on a brisk Kansas City evening. Each person who walked through the Chesnut Hall lobby stopped by his table to chat and say hello.

Walking through campus with his camera dangling around his neck at almost every moment of the day, Mohr displays true focus, intensity, love and passion for photography and he’s constantly looking for the perfect picture.

Mohr is seeing his one-time hobby quickly blossom into a promising career path. After bouncing around from major to major, Mohr said he finally realized his passion for photography was the perfect way to be happy doing a job he’d enjoy.

“Sixth grade was when I decided I wanted to be a photo journalist,” Mohr said.

“I went through a business phase and I wanted to open up a bakery for the longest time. Then I wanted to be a doctor for a while and then a marine biologist. Photography was always a hobby but I didn’t put a lot of thought into it as a career but I ultimately wanted to be able to enjoy what I was doing for the rest of my life.”

Mohr has always been enamored with photography even from a young age, he said.

“I love the idea of capturing a single moment in time and that moment will be preserved,” Mohr said.

“My absolute favorite thing to shoot is nature. Just going outside and standing in the middle of the forest and having all of that around me, it’s always been an inspiration for me.”

Mohr is involved in several activities around Park’s campus. He’s a freshman student mentor, a student ambassador and he also has his own show on the campus radio station – KGSP 90.5.

However, Mohr’s love of photography has helped him succeed in his biggest role on campus as The Stylus student newspaper photo editor.

“My freshman year my friend was the editor (of The Stylus) and a photographer couldn’t make it to an event,” Mohr said.

“She asked me if I could go take some pictures so I went and took a couple and a couple days later the staff loved my photos and they wanted me to join as the photographer. I thought it was cool to be involved because it wasn’t something I’d thought about. I did my own thing for a while and I got more and more involved and things fell into place.”

Being one of very few photographers on staff, can be a difficult job, Mohr said.

“There are even times where one of the editors will call me and say, ‘Max something’s happening and we need you taking pictures ASAP’ and I always have my camera with me and I’ll get there,” he said.

Through his involvement with The Stylus and his continued growth as a photographer, Mohr is developing his own version of what a perfect photo will look like.

“What I really enjoy doing is putting emphasis on one subject in focus,” Mohr said. “You’ll see in my Stylus photos, they’re very focused on one subject, which probably is part of my style.”

“To me, what makes a good photo is having very different contrasts fighting against each other with very bright vivid colors, but I also like having colors as a secondary focal point around my main subject,” he said.

As an evolving photojournalism major Mohr said he has definitely become more intense on his craft.

Mohr remembers some specific pieces of advice from his own lessons, for anyone who wishes to attempt the tall task of becoming a photographer.

“You have to see the photo before it’s taken,” Mohr said.

“With phones and technology today, anyone can take a photo, but a photographer knows what they want the picture to look like before they take it. Also, always have your camera with you because you never know when the photo moments going to come.”