Student newspaper of Park University

Stylus

Lion: A theatrical journey through life

Emilie Heston, Staff Reporter

True story films are typically based upon famous or well-known stories. Every now and then we come across one that is unheard of. That was the case for me when I ventured into the theater to see “Lion” this week.

To say that this film was great is an understatement. “Lion” was nominated for multiple categories at the Academy Awards this year, including Best Picture, Best Cinematography and Best Original Music Score.

Tears rolled down my cheeks for a good portion of the movie, and my heart strings were pulled. This true story shows the hardships of a boy at a young age. His journey over the course of 25 years comes with a lot of ups and downs. Young Saroo (Sunny Pawar) struggles to find his way back home at the age of five. His new life is with a family in Australia that adopts him and gives him a luxurious life he never could have imagined.

The breathtaking story is a situation that is unimaginable. The storyline takes such a turn when Saroo, played by Dev Patel, begins searching for his home and family. The constant need to find what he’s been looking for causes tension in the relationships in his life. Patel does a fantastic job at showing the internal emotion and battle.

The final scene could be seen as predictable to some, however, I think it added a lot to the overall story (my tears were there to show). There is something about a happy ending that is just the icing on the cake for me. If the film had ended any other way, I think I would have been disappointed. It was just something that needed to happen in order for me to be satisfied, and so it did.

Overall, “Lion” was an admirable film with fine acting to go with the screenplay. I would definitely recommend for the next tear jerker you’re looking for!

1 Comment

One Response to “Lion: A theatrical journey through life”

1. Sushrut Padhye (Stuart Paddison) on March 12th, 2017 12:50 am

Great review, Emilie. It was an emotional roller coaster ride for me personally, as I am an Indian myself. The movie pulled at all my heartstrings and had me sobbing all along. My detailed review here (http://sushlit.com/lion-movie-review/) might interest you and readers like.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

Student newspaper of Park University
Lion: A theatrical journey through life