Stylus

Travel 101: College Edition

Derrius L. Ivy, Reporter

Let’s face it: a lot of us are surviving, barely, on vending machines, fast food or, (my least favorite) ramen. We wear a pair of pants at least twice a week, and we lose the fight against being late for class.

We lose our keys and phones so much we wonder how people our age take care of other, littler, people.

Sometimes things just get old and boring.

You need a vacation. And, as college students, many of us don’t have time or money to travel. Or so we think. But we all need a little break and, believe it or not, it’s possible. Even on the smallest of budgets.

Park University has two guaranteed two weeks off; one in spring and one in fall. This doesn’t include the additional four to eight weeks in between semesters or holidays. It doesn’t seem like much when you’re a full-time student and worker, but it gives you one important thing: time.

Here you’ll find travel tips to ensure you can see more than your dorm room with your dorm-size budget!

1. Pick a travel buddy:

Traveling alone can be fun but you also want someone to scream Bruno Mars lyrics with as you hurtle down the freeway, with sun glasses on and a disaster in the back seat. I suggest finding someone with a flexible schedule or just pick someone you actually like and let them know your plans at least a month AHEAD OF TIME.

1. Pick a destination:

You’d be surprised how much excitement surrounds us. Branch out to your neighboring cities and states first. It’s not much, but it’s a start. Places like Branson or St. Louis are perfect for quick little weekend breaks. They’re three to four hours away, jammed pack with things to do, and you’ll be back in time to be late for class as usual!

1. Plan ahead:

It’s important to have a timeline. Make a list of things you want to do or places you want to visit and add them to a note so all addresses and numbers are in one place. You also want to know how far things are from your hotel or accommodations.

1. Time it out:

Know when to leave (days), how long you will be traveling (miles or hours), if you’ll need a rest break, and when to come back. Keep the hotel or room check-in and check-out times in mind when planning.

1. Budget:

Always know how much money you’ll need. Bring a little extra just in case. Set a straightforward budget and pick everything to fit within it. Make sure to consider any parking fees, attraction fees or souvenirs.

scenic photo student canyon photo scenic water photo scenic canyon photo